We asked for the Chinese visa at the embassy in Vientiane, Laos. The required documents were the following:
- Completed application form, which requires the planned itinerary in China (the main cities and at which dates you plan to visit them is enough)
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover travel expenses (we just printed out our last bank statements)
- Return plane tickets to prove entry and exit. (If you plan on entering/exiting the country via land, you can ask a travel agency in Vientiane to make ‘reservations’ for you. It cost us 50 000 Kips/person and was enough for the embassy).
- 1 standard ID photo
- Hotel booking for the first night
- Proof of medical insurance (it wasn’t asked but we brought it anyway)
After examining our documents for about 10 seconds, they gave us a receipt that we needed to bring to the ICBC (International and Commercial Bank of China) to pay the fees. It was 48$/person for a double entry visa (so 2 times 30 days) valid for 6 months. The single entry tourist visa costs 32$. It takes 4 days to get the visa.